Saturday, March 29, 2008

Something Cool to Talk About: Mental Health

It's taken me a while to really get a take-home message. But one thing is clear -- we have got to address mental health.

In more than three sessions mental health was brought up, talked about and cried over.

Every time a presenter talked about mental health, they were so passionate about their cause that you could hear tears in their voice.

So what are the major problems? Mental health isn't being talked about, unless there is a drastic event forcing every media outlet in the country to focus on the tragedy.

But let's not focus on the tragedies anymore. Let's cover them when necessary, but not stop examining the mental health of this country. In the nursing session I attended today one of the panelists said 1 in 4 college students are affected by stress making it hard to do work. ((As a college student this doesn't surprise me, only comforts me that I'm not the only one who becomes immobilized at the amount of work)).

The college angle presents a neat news beat! Let's focus on that for a while! Let's talk about it! Let's write about it! We have the power of the pen and we can initiate change.

1 comment:

Ariana Richardo said...

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

Click Here
Myfolio.com